Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rule 6: "Why Not Just Call Her Up on a Wednesday Night and Ask if You Can Buy Her an Ice Cream at Dairy Queen?"

1.  This may sound dumb, but in my NHL 11 season, I'm eighteen games in and still undefeated.  That just feels good.
2.  I found a fourth player for my D&D game yesterday.
3.  My wife bought me Cold Stone ice cream.

Today's post is really coming from some good advice my dad gave me in high school.  At the time, I was having a really hard time aligning my schedule to the girl I was trying to date (because I was in high school and hadn't figured out that I could like more than one).  I kept trying to set up these big dates on weekends, but she kept being busy (but was obviously interested at school.  I'll write about when to stop asking later).  I asked several times, and she was always busy.  I complained to my dad about it and he gave me some advice that I still kick myself for not taking.

He said, "Paul, why do you keep trying to set up the big date?  Why not just call her up on a Wednesday night and ask if you can buy her an ice cream at Dairy Queen."  Of course, when I was in high school my dad was an idiot, so I scoffed and said that was the stupidest idea ever.  I would continue down my path of rejection and there was nothing he could do to stop me.  He dropped the issue.

Somehow, after I got home from my mission, my dad's idiotic advice suddenly became smart.  Don't ask me how it happened; I still consider it a miracle.  I did what he said to do, I asked girls on short quick dates that were allegedly sporadic and only took about thirty minutes.  Guys, I found that the quick date is just as good as the drawn out one.  Do remember that the same rules apply to the shorty:  Planned, Paired Off, and Paid for.  The real difference is in the call.  You'll want to call about thirty minutes before you want to go on the quick date, and in the call, you need to say something slightly different than for the long date.  In the short one, don't say actually say the word date. I know, this is completely against what I said before, but our society has trained us to think of dates as several hours long and something you need to 'get ready' for.  Instead, you explain a date.  Like this, "Hey (her name), in about half an hour I was going to go to Dairy Queen and get something.  I was wondering if you'd like to come and let me buy you an ice cream."  Check it out:  It's planned out, you told her a time, a place, and what you'd be doing.  It's paired off, she knows you are asking her, not that your buddies are going and you'd like her to come too.  It's paid for, she knows that you'll be buying her an ice cream.  It answers all the questions that make girls annoyed when you don't use the word date, and it's not a big event she has to plan, or get ready for.

Anyway, give the short date a shot when she doesn't have time for the long one.  Sometimes it'll get you into doors the other one won't.  Have a nice day.

16 comments:

  1. Excellent advice! I think women see this as guys being spontaneous. I hear they like that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. This little tip got my sister married (well she's engaged still) he called and took her on a 30 minute date to get hot chocolate, and they've been inseparable ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely brilliant! Anything to let the girl know you are thinking about her and want to spend time together. But something that's fun and easy too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,
    I'm so glad I've had the time today to catch up on reading your blog. It makes me laugh! I find myself saying "he's absolutely right" about a lot of things too..Hope life is great for you and that lovely wife of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. Spontaneity and making someone comfortable in one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to pass this advice on to my son who is having the same problem...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Vinny
    I hear that too. Not sure what it's all about, but I don't need to understand it, I just need to do it.

    @Ash
    It works!!!! Thanks for the story. My rules have no backing real backing without stories like this.

    @Hannah
    I never thought about it that way... I just assumed that girls knew guys were thinking about them. Married and I'm still learning stuff.

    @Robyn
    I'm glad you did too. And I'm glad you made an account so you can comment. Yay. :)

    @AC
    Exactly. Two great things mixed.

    @Missy
    I'm serious, tell him to go to Somethin' New (or at least something I came up wit... first and read from there. I love me some readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete