Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kids Make it Fun

We stayed up late last night.  Well, late for married people.  You know what I mean, when you felt tired at nine but stayed up until midnight or one.  My Aunt and Uncle were at my parents' house and we lost track of the time.  Their five year old was the one to tell us what time it was (he has trouble with minutes, but he's good with the hours).  So, we went to bed well past when we should have.

As usual, I planned on sleeping in this morning, it being Saturday and all.  But, at eight thirty, my phone went off.  It was my dad.  I always get a little nervous when he calls because when my parents want to get ahold of me, my mom usual texts me.  It hasn't ever been something bad, but I still get nervous.  I answered the phone, "Hey dad."

"It's not your dad!"  It's my five year old cousin.

"Well, then who is it?"  :)

"It's _______!"

"Oh!  Well what are ya callin' for?"

"I just wanted to know when you were gonna come to your mom and dad's house."

"Well, I'll get down there soon.  Can you put uncle ____ on the phone?"  My dad.

"Sure."

I then talked to my dad and I guess he kept asking when we were going to come down so my dad had him call me.  I'm pretty sure it might have been my dad's idea as much as his (my dad likes to wake me).

So, my wife gets home from some church meetings while I'm getting ready and she starts telling me about them.  In the middle of her fairly lengthy story, my phone rings.  My dad's phone again.  "Paul, I was wondering what was taking you so long."

"Oh, I just had to get ready."

"Well, can you hurry?" :)

"Sure."

My five year old cousin is probably one of my favorite parts of Christmas, well, kids in my family are one of my favorite parts of Christmas.  It's so much fun to play with them, and have them get excited about Christmas, and ask them if Santa shops at Cabela's, because we saw a play Bow and Arrow that he liked there.  Kids make it fun.

3 comments:

  1. Kids are the greatest... My nieces make Christmas rock! Although they are getting older, I still squeeze the heck out of them like they are still 4 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids profoundly change the Christmas experience, and every experience really, because, through them, we get to relive everything again. It's truly time travel. My son just started shaving and I feel like I've been shaving so long now that I don't even think about it. But because of him I suddenly remembered the excitement I first had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ AG
    Just as you should.

    @dbs
    That is really true. Watching my cousin has been interesting (especially because I see a lot of similarities between him and me at five). We went to see the lights at Temple Square in Salt Lake, and he didn't seem interested in how pretty they were, just how everything worked. It really does bring back the magic.

    ReplyDelete