Friday, November 19, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Some Old Friends

Have you ever tried to revisit a beloved item from your childhood, only to find it lacking in the luster that you once believed it had?  Spaghettios immediately comes to mind, ramen, songs that require actions, etc. I think it's pretty clear what makes that happen:  We find things that tast better than spaghettios (just about anything), we find things more nutritious than ramen (again, just about anything), and we find songs we can understand and enjoy without making one of our arms into a handle and the other into a spout.

The things that I have found lacking in luster lately are from my late adolescence though, and if you want to do some quick math, I'm 24, so my "late adolescence"  really wasn't that long ago.  What I'm writing about here are many of the comedies that I thought were hysterical.  I'm talking about Tommy Boy, Black Sheep, Night at the Roxbury, Dumb and Dumber, and a few others that I'm sure I'm forgetting.  I thought that I would find these hilarious until the day I died, but I recently watched many of them and decided to sell them to FYE to help pay for Fable 3.  Most of what I'm having an issue with is that I loved these movies.  I remember watching and having my sides hurt from hysterical laughter.  And it wasn't too long ago that I loved them, but now I just don't.  Am I becoming an old person already?  I do grant that most of the humor found in said movies is a little crass, but why don't I appreciate that like I used to? 

I'd like to believe that, like in the case of Spaghettios, I've found entertainment that is a little more pleasing.  Maybe I've just found things that are better and the late 90's comedies just pale in comparison.  Or, maybe I'm just a snob now.

    

Either way, I'd like to take this moment to bid those movies adieu.  You served me well for many years, and like the old tree in Silverstein's "The Giving Tree,"  you gave your all at the end, which gave me Fable.  Thank you for your sacrifice.

3 comments:

  1. Oh NO Paul! Never give up on Dumb and Dumber or Tommy Boy! I'll always love Night at the Roxbury too! They're classics! Movies that started it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.... I find so many things stupid now haha I have no other explanation except that i'm just old. And i'm only 22..... maybe it's a McCormick thing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katie
    I understand your frustration with me, but like The Red Hot Chili Peppers, I appreciate their contribution, but really don't enjoy them anymore. Tonight was fun by the by, we really do need to get together before Christmas.

    @Amanda
    Maybe it is a family thing. We may have to conduct a survey of the population of our family to see if there is a correlation... I love that I'm a nerd. :)

    ReplyDelete