Monday, November 15, 2010

Samuel Langhorne Clemens Does it Again

Twain

So, there's a Mark Twain quote where he says something like:  "I never hated a man whose story I really knew," or something along those lines (I plan to amend the quote and change it once it is found).

There is a guy in one of my classes who has bugged me for a couple of years now. He is one of those guys who has a story for every topic, but the story never really fits the topic.  He never seems to get to the point, and each of his stories end with him asking the teacher if what he rambled about for five minutes applied.  The teacher I have with him now, and the one I had with him last semester were too nice to say, "No.  No, that didn't apply at all."  Instead, they do the, "Well, in a way..."

It's gotten to the point that when he starts talking, I start day dreaming.  Luckily, I haven't been called on to comment on what I think about his situation, or profession, and I doubt I ever will.

So, I assume we all know where this is going, since I have ol' Samuel's picture at the top of my post.  I got put in a group with this guy, and the more I get to know him, the less I dislike him.  He's had a rough upbringing, and he's trying to fight through some of the anger issues his dad gave him, but he is fighting through.  He's determined to be a better father than his dad was, and he seems quick to offer a compliment where it is due.  I still notice his faults, and since he's in a group with me, I notice more of his them (I think we all know how group work goes), but I'm learning more and more to hate him less.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is, as long as someone isn't abuse, maybe we should all give them a chance, maybe they're just a little weird and need a closer look to be fully appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment