Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday, Part II, "Small Town's Revenge!"

Yesterday I posted our Black Friday escapades and received empathetic words for the distress it caused.  I appreciate everyone's concern and kindness.

That same day (just after I posted)  we drove to Price to visit my sister and her husband.  Upon arrival, we decided to go to Wal-Mart (because we're masochists).  Almost no one was there, and lo and behold, most of the stuff we fought for earlier that day was there, still in stock, still ripe for the picking.

My obvious question:  Why did we not just come to Price in the first place instead of trying to fight the crowds in Orem (because we got FF13 for seventeen bucks, that's why).  I should have seen this coming because I had a similar experience last year, when my wife and I spent Thanksgiving in Richfield with her family.  We didn't wake up until nine or ten, slowly made it to Wal-Mart and Kmart, and found what was on for the "best"  sales still there.  I'm not sure why small towns are this way.  Fewer people fighting for the stuff, less materialism, and hard working folk valuing sleep all make sense to me, but regardless of cause, small towns are the way to go on Black Fridays. 

In our house we often argue about where we want to end up when we finally settle down entirely.  I like cities, my wife likes small towns.  Talk about scoring one for small towns come holiday season.  Cities still win overall (so if my wife reads this, don't think I'm succumbing to your small townism), but small towns do have their upsides, which I'm willing to say.

Anyway, if you hate the Black Friday rush, try small towns next year (or don't, so there's less competition for me).

2 comments:

  1. I live about an hour away from the closest Wal-mart. On purpose. I believe this redefines smalltownism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a guy who lives WAY out of civilization. Don't you worry, Wal-mart is coming for you, it's only a matter of time. :)

    ReplyDelete