Friday, March 23, 2012

Baldur's Gate III?

Okay, I know that I said that I'd be using this as a way to practice my writing skills, and I am, but this bit of news was just too interesting (to me) not to write about.

About a month ago, I was cruising Gamespot (something I do more often than I'd like to admit) when I came across an article about how a lot of sequels were coming out and being talked about when they made reference to Baldur's Gate III.  That's right all you long time gamers who hadn't heard about this yet, it looks like a Baldur's Gate III is in the works.  This, or course, made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I clicked the link faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle!" and got nothing but,





And a quote from Baldur's Gate II.  And that was it.  No link.  No real information.  Just the BG skull and a quote.  That was cool though.  I knew that BGIII was being worked on, and that was good enough for me.

Last night, I visited Gamespot again, and remembered BGIII and how I wanted to know more about it, so I looked it up.  Nothing really, but I did find a link back to where the skull and quote were.  Sure enough, more information existed.  Is BGIII coming out?  Yes, but not for a while.  More information had come out about what they are during currently, and what was it?  Remaking Baldur's GateI and II, including expansions.  The website reads, "Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ will include the entire Baldur’s Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure and new party member."
 
I don't know if I can fully express how excited this made me.  I didn't game much growing up, but I did get Baldur's Gate I and II, and loved both of them.  I remember playing for hours, soaking in the story, trying to talk my way out of conflict, and listening to Smashing Pumpkins in the background.  It had wonderfully memorable characters, and the idea that more characters are coming only makes me happier.

The big drawback, and why I felt like posting something about this:  they have only announced one platform.  Those who know my gaming habits are probably thinking it's coming out on Playstation, because I don't own one.  Oh, no.  Not yet anyway.  The only device (and that's what it should be called) that has been announced is the iPad (it honestly took me a while to finish typing that).  I don't own an iPad.  I've never wanted an iPad.  I have no use for an iPad, until now.  but I'm certainly not paying $500 just to play Baldur's Gate.

So, this is my call to Overhaul Games and Atari:  PLEASE, have it come out on Xbox Live.  If and iPad can handle the game, Xbox Live could.  I would gladly download it.  It's a game that should be regularly paused to decide tactics in battle, so I'd gladly use Left Trigger (or whatever) and use my joystick as a mouse.  I have no problems with that.  I don't even care if it comes on PC, I just want it on Xbox Live.  Anyway, if you're a non-gamer, and still read through all this, thank you.  If you are a gamer, are you as excited about this news as I am?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment