Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's to My Right?

It happened again this morning.  It's happened every morning for about three weeks (or more), but today was especially bad.  My eyelids lifted to the grinding of our alarm clock and my wife mumbling, "Paul, are you getting up? It's 7:03."  I tried to lift my head and my neck let me know, in no uncertain terms, that my moving was not going to fly.  I tried again and pushed through my body's protests.  "I don't think so, my neck is killing me."  "Oh, okay."

I tried going back to sleep with my neck in a better position, but the pain was so lopsided that I couldn't be sure if my neck was straight.  Every time I tried to readjust it would only feel more like my head was leaning to one side or the other.

Finally, in frustration and agony, I got up, slathered on some Icy Hot and put the long bean bag in the microwave.  And sat in front of my television, trying to keep my neck as still as I possibly could while occasionally rubbing it.  Eventually, it got a little better.  Better enough for me to freeze some peaches, so long as I moved my body and not my head, but I still don't feel good enough to go running.  I can't imagine it would actually do any damage to run, but it sure feels like it would, which makes me think I'll  not go through the pain and just eat a little less today.  Anyone know any cures to morning neck aches, because they seem to be getting worse instead of better and it's getting old.

2 comments:

  1. I get neck aches from time to time when I'm stressed. They make me miss the good old days when I got migraines instead.

    ReplyDelete