Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Oh, Mcdonald's

Yesterday, I woke up at 3:35 AM to drive my dad to the airport.  On the way back home, being the amazing husband that I am, I thought, "Hey, my wife loves fast food breakfast, I should stop and pick her up some."  So I did, and ended up with one of the best fast food cups I've ever owned.

It's really not funny unless you know the story though (as most of you will).  Several years ago, there was a woman who got coffee from Mcdonald's.  As crazy as this might sound, the coffee was hot.  We learned later that the lid may not have fit exactly right either, but this is still ridiculous.  She spilled the coffee on herself and it burned her. Don't get me wrong, I've spilled many a hot beverage on myself and I can feel for this woman, but I never would have thought to do what she did.  She sued Mcdonald's, and because Mcdonald's is a huge corporation, they paid her off.  In many ways, the day I found out made me a little sad.  It was obviously a stupid law suit, and just because I think Mcdonald's makes sub-par food, doesn't mean that they deserve to be sued.

For years I've thought of that law suit being one of the many indictments of humanity.  I assumed that we must really be going downhill is someone can sue a restaurant for burning themselves.  I got a little bit of my faith in humanity back yesterday morning, for on my cup was written, "BEWARE: COLD ZONE.  Careful - the beverage you're about to enjoy is extremely, impossibly, awesomely cool."  I laughed the whole way home.  Did they pay that woman a bundle of money?  Yes they did.  Did they take the hit and just move on?  Apparently they did not.  They saw, out of the wreckage of a frivolous lawsuit against them, a way to make one hilarious cup.  I may not love your food, and I may think you're a soul sucking conglomerate,  but you had one funny cup there, that on a deeper level, made me respect you a little bit more.  I'm usually not Mcdonald's, but today I am, I'm lovin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment